We enjoyed a pleasant visit from Yossi Garfinkel Tuesday evening on the Florida College campus. He gave a lecture on Khirbet Qeiyafa to a full auditorium plus a summary of the first Tel Lachish season for a private dinner group. Here are a few interesting updates from his presentations:
- As mentioned before, volume II of the Khirbet Qeiyafa excavation report is out. (I already have my copy.) Six more Qeiyafa volumes are scheduled to be published in the near future.
- A second inscription from Qeiyafa (discovered in the 2012 season) is the subject of an article submitted a few months ago to one of the peer-reiewed journals. Word on its publication is still pending.
- There is a third inscription from Qeiyafa (Hershel Shanks was right) that will be published in Kh. Qeiyafa Vol. 4..
- A few new inscriptions were discovered at Lachish at the 2014 season. The expedition has begun work on their publication.
- The 2014 excavation at Lachish found a candidate city wall for the elusive Level 5. (The character and date of the level 5 city are currently disputed.) The dating of this wall shall be ascertained over the next couple of excavation seasons.
Yossi Garfinkel is now in San Diego to present on both Qeiyafa and Lachish at Thursday’s ASOR sessions.
We had a special cake for his reception at Florida College. How much detail can you notice? Feel free to zoom in and investigate.